How To De-Stress During COVID-19
My Favorite Meditation Apps
A national survey from the American Psychiatric Association (APA) shows COVID-19 is seriously affecting Americans' mental health, with half of US adults reporting high levels of anxiety.
Given the circumstances, this is hardly surprising, said APA president Bruce J. Schwartz, MD, but he cautions that if the pandemic continues much longer the impact on Americans' mental health could become much worse.
"The survey results show that the majority of the public is reacting appropriately to the coronavirus pandemic, that there is a fear and anxiety, but it looks to me to be within normative levels," said Schwartz.
"I would be concerned if the levels of anxiety were too much lower because that would tell me that people are not necessarily taking necessary precautions," he added.
Public health actions, such as social distancing, can make people feel isolated and lonely and can increase stress and anxiety. However, these actions are necessary to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Coping with stress in a healthy way will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger. Meditation is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety.
According to a study published in Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging and run by Harvard researchers, "Participating in an eight-week mindfulness meditation program appears to make measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress." It may seem like a bit of an oxymoron to plug-in in order to unplug, but if you're new to meditating, a meditation app is an easy way to learn how to relax, decrease stress, and even improve your brain function. Below is a list of my three favorite mediation apps that will help you to establish a regular mediation practice.
"Your goal is not to battle with the mind, but to witness the mind.".
- Swami Muktananda
This is my favorite meditation app. It does cost $99 a year but it has the best meditation teachers in the business and is wonderfully organized. For those who want a curated easy way to meditate at a relatively low cost, this app is for you.
This app is FREE and has thousands of guided meditations including those from many of the teachers in the above app. It's a good place to start to see if you enjoy meditation.
Andrew Johnson has an almost hypnotic tone and an ability to relax the listener faster than any other app I have encountered. Apps range from FREE for the basics to $19.99 for the whole suite of apps. I recommend starting with Relax for FREE to see if it works for you.
We now offer FDA approved antibody testing
Many people believe they have already had the virus. If you would like to find out, you can get tested in our office. Vibrant America has just been FDA approved for finger-prick antibody testing. This must be done in our clinic but is a simple finger prick. The test is $150. You can contact us if you would like to schedule a test. Either call us at (510) 922-1579 or email us at email@example.com.
Yes we are open!
We are open and are seeing patients. We are doing everything we can to keep you safe during COVID-19. Here is our protocol:
- All of our staff gets regular COVID-19 testing.
- We will be wearing masks.
- We will wear gloves and change them between each client.
- We will wipe down our tables and equipment with medical grade disinfectant, between every patient.
- We will run a HEPA filter to clean the air in the adjusting office and in the reception area.
- None of our staff or doctors will be in the office if they are experiencing signs or symptoms of illness.
- We will clean the office with medical grade disinfectants several times per day. This includes doorknobs, desks, chairs, items at the front desk.
- Decompression tables are now one per room.
- All clients must wear masks to enter.
- All clients are asked to go to the kitchen to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, immediately upon entering the office.
- All clients are asked to practice social distancing in the office.
- We ask that you do not come more than 5 minutes early for your appointment to keep the waiting room clear.
- We will take the temperature of everyone entering the office.
- If you are feeling sick, have a cough, sore throat, or have traveled recently, we ask that you cancel your appointment.
8:00am - 5:00pm
9:30am - 6:30pm
8:00am - 6:30pm
9:30am - 6:30pm
8:00am - 12:00pm
TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT